Pages

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Easy Boiled Cabbage

If you don't already know it, cabbage is a wonderful thing.  It is healthy, flavorful, easy to cook, and cheap.  Plus, you can cook it several different ways:  fried cabbage, baked cabbage and cabbage on the grill are just a few of the different ways to cook it, but last night, we had boiled cabbage.  I was always kind of hesitant to try to make boiled cabbage, because it was something that my mom and mother-in-law cooked, and I didn't think I could make it as good as them.  But, to my surprise, it is super easy and I must say mine is just as delicious as theirs.  So, without further ado, here we go:
Basic ingredients


Here is what you will need: 
  • 1 small-medium head of cabbage (depending on how many you are serving)
  • 3 slices of salt pork (aka fatback, streaked meat, or whatever other name you might call it)
  • about 1/2 cup of water
  • Salt & Pepper -- I prefer to use kosher salt and the seasoned pepper you see in the front of the picture....actually I use the seasoned pepper on almost everything I cook.  
  • Large heavy pot to boil it in.  Doesn't have to be a cast iron pot like the one I have, but I got that for Christmas and I love it...just an FYI
The first step to boiled cabbage is to take your pieces of salt pork and brown them up a bit in the bottom of your pan over medium heat.  The salt pork is like a thicker, saltier piece of bacon and it gives a really good flavor to the cabbage.  If you didn't have salt pork on hand, you can use bacon drippings, but I like to use the meat.  

While your salt pork is browning, go ahead and quarter up your cabbage like so:  First peel back a couple of the outer layers of the cabbage leaves and discard them.  Then cut your cabbage in half and then into quarter pieces.  Discard the core of the cabbage as it's too tough. 






 You should have 4 large chunks when you are done: 


When your meat is good and browned up, go ahead and a little water to the bottom of your pot...I think I used about 1/2 cup of water.  The cabbage will actually produce its own water when it cooks down, so you don't want to add too much or it will be soggy.  Once the water is added, just throw your cabbage in the pot and salt & pepper it to your liking.  


Then, just put a lid on it and let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes or so....the length of time will depend on how crunchy or soft you like your cabbage.  I tend to like mine more on the softer side, so I just kept testing it with a fork to see when it was about the way I like it.  

Also, here is what was happening behind me while I was cooking: 
shhh mom...I'm taking a nappy


Not sure why, but she likes to drag in pillows and a blanket and make a pallet.  Her usual location is behind the couch, but tonight she decided to join me in the kitchen.  

Anyway, back to the cabbage.  Once it has cooked to your satisfaction, it should look something like this: 

yummmmm

So, serve it up alongside your meal, or just eat this for a meal in itself.  That's what I would do if it was just me...but, The Lineman has to have a meat (and apparently Carter does too, she ate like it was going out of style last night).  So, we had it next to a grilled pork chop and shells & cheese....


If you think you don't like cabbage, and I didn't think I did for forever, just try this.  It might change the way you feel about cabbage.  I am looking forward to this summer and growing some for myself in the garden. 

By the way, after some discussion at work, there are apparently different ways to cook boiled cabbage, so if you have a different suggestion, feel free to share in the comments.  And, let me know what you think if you try it! 

4 comments:

Tipper said...

Such a sweet cooking partner : ) The way you cook your cabbage is the way I'm most familiar with. Sometimes if I don't have any side-meat, bacon, or ham I use a small amount of olive oil. You don't have the smoky taste but the cabbage is still pretty good.

b. Ruth said...

Hey,
I cooked me some cabbage Friday for lunch. I usually cook mine similar to yours. This time I put some butter in the pan, shredded the cabbage, dropped it in and kept stirring occasionally until it started getting somewhat soft. Salt and peppered it and added about a half cup of water, turned down the heat, put the lid on and it steamed until just about all the liquid resolved. Yum, it was so good...

Anonymous said...

Julia,
I enjoyed your blog on Cabbage
today. Other than Tipper's Blind
Pig and the Acorn, I've never
commented on anything before.
With boiled cabbage, most of the
time I like Perch and taters.
Nice family and blog...Ken

Unknown said...

Thank you Ken for the comment. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I am not sure if I have ever eaten perch. A few times the Lineman has gone fishing in the backwaters and brought home some pike, and we have a really good friend who goes bass fishing alot and he has been generous and given us some spotted bass to eat a few times. I enjoy eating both of those. Typically we eat it blackened, but I need to experiment more with other types of fish, it is so good for us! Julia